Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 347 of 365 ... Just Bare Bones



Everyone in the house was rather under the weather for Thanksgiving, so Sunday we roasted a cute li'l turkey; had homemade stuffing, baked potatoes, broccoli, and pomegranate seeds. It was delish.

However, this blog entry is about the day after, when I stood at the kitchen counter pulling off the meat still barely clinging to the bones I had simmered to make turkey soup. I love turkey soup.

I don't mind the task of cleaning the bones in preparation for the next step of making soup.

For some reason, the bones really mesmerized me. Each bone had a purpose and was shaped to facilitate the muscle, tendon, or blood vessels that constituted the bird. There was an elegance to the contour of the bones, and it was interesting to see where they were hard and dense, and where they were spongy to accommodate fitting into or against another bone to facilitate range of movement.

Through some momentary mental disengagement from my menial task, I felt witness to a plan that involved me and my species, other vertebrates, and creation on a grander scheme than turkey soup. It was comforting to know that Something greater than me knew how to put together all of the pieces in the eternal puzzle.

I have to admit I've never looked at a turkey in quite this context before. I felt moved to save a couple of the bones and see what kind of photograph I could make with them.

So, the photograph for Day 347 is of bits of turkey carcass. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment