Monday, September 19, 2011

Printmaking ... Photography ... CREATIVITY

Earlier in my creative life, I really got into linoleum and wood block printmaking, especially the linocut, where the edges were so sharply defined. I particularly enjoyed reduction printmaking.

If you're not familiar with this technique, the printmaker cuts a preliminary image on a lino block, print it; cut more away from the lino block, ink, register the block with the original printing, and print the second image in a different color directly on top of the original print; cut more away from the lino block, ink and print the third image on, and so forth until the artist has the finished effect he or she wants in multiple colors. This is a very simplified description, but I hope you get the gist of the printmaking technique.

I moved on from printmaking to photography, and love it for all of its different, but in some cases parallel features and benefits.

But, when I came across the Cutout effect filter, I found it to be a technological marriage of two creative techniques I enjoy.  Here are some of the photographs I've taken, to which I've applied the Cutout effect. It doesn't always work out well, but these seem to translate well with the effect.

September 19, 2011


This was a white feather on a charred background,
which I applied a Negative effect, and then
applied the Cutout effect


This was a Cutout effect
applied to the original digital photograph


This, too is the Cutout effect
applied to the original digital photograph


No comments:

Post a Comment