Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A question of authenticity ...



Another thought comes to mind when considering selling my photographic art.

How is a creatively manipulated photograph generally received; the ol' question,"Is it real or is it Memorex?" (Egads! Maybe the significance of that reference will be lost on readers under a certain age!)

Nonetheless, I'm having a lot of fun with digital images and using different filters and software programs to play around with my initial photographic image. That's one of the many attractive features of creating with digital cameras and working with digital files. If I have taken the photograph and I am the one choosing how to use software applications to enhance my images, I claim it as my creative imagery.

However, I think there will always be purists who feel the photographer should not alter the initial image, in order to keep it authentic.

I'm reminded of great photographers who used all sorts of tricks of the darkroom to enhance their images. There are viewers who are knowledgeable about such skillful processing when printing from film negatives, but generally I am certain most viewers don't even consider the logistics involved in producing an image. They just know what they like, or don't like.

So, since I'm not a great photographer and I'm not a photographer per se, but merely an artist using a camera, I think I'll just keep having fun dinking around with my images.

I just hope you like what you see!

No comments:

Post a Comment